department of Pharmaceutical Technology and Chemistry
The department of Pharmaceutical Technology and Chemistry is an inter-faculty department attached administratively to the School of Pharmacy and Nutrition. It also includes all the teaching provided by the Pharmacy Service of the Clínica Universidad de Navarra and has housed a Pilot Plant responsible for the production of medicines for more than 40 years.
The department teaches in:
- The Degrees of Pharmacy, Human Nutrition and Dietetics, Biology, Biochemistry Nursing, Chemistry and Medicine.
- The Master's Degree University in research, development and Drug Innovation.
- The Master's Degree in training Permanent in design Galenic and Manufacturing in the Pharmaceutical Industry.
- The Master's Degree University in management of Pharma-Biotech Companies (MUGEPB).
- The doctoral program "Medicines and Health".
The department also carries out a very important research activity through projects financed by public and private entities. This research includes the preclinical development of biologically active compounds, both of natural and synthetic origin; the design, chemical synthesis or isolation from a medicinal plant of new molecules with potential therapeutic applicability; the study and development of new vehicles, biomaterials and controlled drug release systems; the study and characterisation of the pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic profile using different models, including experimental and computational models; the application of analytical techniques to the characterisation of new molecules and the metabolic study of drugs, and research in Clinical Pharmacy.
Research covers multiple therapeutic areas, including some highly prevalent ones such as cancer, autoimmunity, diabetes, cardiovascular and neurodegenerative diseases or diseases associated with developing countries development, such as Chagas disease and Leishmania.