History of the School
Creation of the School
The Faculty of Pharmacy was founded in 1964, under the impetus of the then President José Mª Albareda, and by Félix Álvarez de la Vega, its first Dean.
The School started its activity in the "Los Castaños" building. In the 1st class there were 40 students. They occupied a classroom, a laboratory and a few tables at Library Services that they shared with the medical students.
'Journal of Physiology and Biochemistry'.
In 1967, the 'Journal of Physiology and Biochemistry', a journal founded in Barcelona in 1945 by Francisco Ponz and Juan Jiménez Vargas, under the auspices of committee Superior de Investigaciones Científicas, began publication in Pamplona.
Transfer to "Hexagon Building"
When the Sciences Building (the "Hexagon Building") was inaugurated in 1970, the classes of the School Pharmacy were moved there.
Clinic Pharmacy Service
Also in 1970, the Pharmacy Service of the Clínica Universidad de Navarra was inaugurated, under the impulse of Dean. Its first director was Joaquín Giráldez. Since then, more than 70 specialist pharmacists have been trained there, in addition to trainees.
In 1972, thanks to the idea and drive of Professor Álvarez de la Vega, the Pharmaceutical Technology Pilot Plant was created.
First training course Continued for postgraduates
In 1982, School hosted the first training course Continuing Education for postgraduates in Pharmacy, which was attended by more than a hundred pharmacists. The initiative continued for 25 years.
In 1988, in a desire to favor the partnership between the University and the companies, the CIFA (research center in Applied Pharmacobiology) was created, promoted by Dr. Antonio Monge. It was the first center of its kind in Spain.
Nutrition and Dietetics
In 1989, the School launched the diploma program of Dietetics and Human Nutrition, as its own degree scroll , whose manager was Professor Isabel García-Jalón. In 1998, it became the first degree scroll in Spain to be recognized as official.
Master's Degree at research and development of Medicines
That same year, 1989, the School launched its first postgraduate program program: the Master's Degree at research and development of Medicines (MIDI), an initiative promoted by Dr. Antonio Monge.
Doctor 'honoris causa
Ángel Santos Ruiz was the first doctor 'honoris causa' of the School of Pharmacy.
In 1998 he received the Douwe Breimer distinction.
high school of Food Science
In May 2002, high school Food Science was created.
specialization program of Industrial and Galenic Pharmacy
The School was the first (along with that of Barcelona) to teach, in 2003, the specialization program of Industrial and Galenic Pharmacy (EFIG) which, subsequently, in 2016 was transformed into the Master's Degree of design Galenic and Manufacturing in the Pharmaceutical Industry.
European Master's Degree in Food, Nutrition and Metabolism
In 2004, the first edition of the European Master's Degree in Food, Nutrition and Metabolism was launched, which provides training in different areas related to nutrition and its environment, in the field of health attendance , the food industry and research.
conference of Nutrition Update
Since 2007, the conference of update in Nutrition has been held, which aims to be a meeting for professionals and to provide a current and applied vision on aspects related to nutrition and food.
In 2009, with the support of CINFA laboratories, the School created the classroom internship , which simulates a pharmacy office. It was the first of its kind in Spain, aimed at training for students of Degree and postgraduate program.
Center for Nutrition Research
In 2014 the research center in Nutrition was born, fruit of the research developed since 1997 at the department of Food Science and Physiology of the School, and thanks to the contract-program with CINFA laboratories.
Master's Degree at management of Pharma-Biotech Companies
In 2018, the School launched the Master's Degree in management of Pharma-Biotech Companies taught at campus in Madrid.
The students of Degree in Pharmacy were the first in Spain, in 2018, to be evaluated with the ECOE methodology (assessment Objective and Structured Clinical) oriented to evaluate the clinical and professional competences of the students.
The students of Degree in Nutrition experimented it in the following course (2018-19) being also pioneers in Spain.
The first Dean of Pharmacy was Félix Álvarez de la Vega. In 1967 he was replaced by Jesús Larralde. Among the pioneers of the School, María Luisa López, Pedro García Casado, María Jesús Renedo, José Bello, Joaquín Giráldez, Isidoro Rasines or Antonio Monge.
In the 1970s, alumni of the first graduating classes, such as Daniel Fos, Pilar Ygartua and Berta Lasheras, joined as professors. Also in those years,María Pilar Fernández Otero and Edurne Cenarruzabeitia, who would become deans, joined School .
With Isabel García-Jalón we finish the review of some of the pioneers of the School. Although she did not arrive at the University until the end of the 80s, she can be considered as such, since it was under her impulse that the programs of study Nutrition and Dietetics courses began at School.
* Click on the image to learn more about the pioneers of the School
Félix Álvarez de la Vega
The first Dean of the School of Pharmacy was Félix Álvarez de la Vega. D. in Pharmacy from the Complutense University of Madrid, in 1950 he obtained the Chair at the University of Santiago de Compostela. In 1951 he was ordained a priest and in 1954 he joined the University as professor of Chemistry in the recently created School of Medicine.
He received the Gold Medal of the University in 1995.
Jesús Larralde replaced Mr. Félix Álvarez de la Vega as Dean in 1967. He studied Pharmacy and Chemistry in Madrid, and in Barcelona he worked with D. Francisco Ponz. He was Full Professor of Physiology at the University of Santiago de Compostela. He was Dean of the School until 1986.
He promoted Nutrition in the programs of study of Pharmacy and the research.
Maria Luisa Lopez
María Luisa López studied Pharmacy at the Complutense University of Madrid. In 1965, called by Jesús Larralde, she joined the School as Professor of Botany. In 1970 she defended the first thesis in Pharmacy, directed by Salvador Rivas Martínez.
Pedro García Casado
Pedro García Casado joined School in 1967 to teach Physicochemistry. He was a chemist, and D. Félix Álvarez de la Vega proposed him to study the degree program in Pharmacy, which he completed with the third promotion.
In 1973 he defended the thesis in Pharmacognosy.
María Jesús Renedo
María Jesús Renedo arrived in Pamplona in 1966 to work in the pharmaceutical industry, but the insistence of Dean, Félix Álvarez de la Vega, managed to get her to dedicate herself to the university Education . In 1968 she began to work as a professor at School.
She was Director of programs of study of the University (1986-1996).
José Bello joined the University in 1969, after graduating in Chemistry and Pharmacy. After obtaining the Chair degree in Bromatology and Toxicology at the University of Seville, he returned to Pamplona in the 81-82 academic year, until his retirement in 2001.
Joaquín Giráldez graduated in Pharmacy from the University of Granada in 1967 and, in 1977, he received his doctorate here at School.
In 1970, Félix Álvarez de la Vega asked him to take over the Pharmacy service at Clínica Universidad de Navarra as director technician. He then became its first director.
Isidoro Rasines began teaching class at School of Pharmacy in 1970, the same year in which he defended his thesis at the Complutense University. Also there he had graduate in Chemical Sciences in 1950.
He was also University Secretary of the University.
In 1979 he definitively established his residency program in Madrid to devote himself entirely to research Chemistry at the CSIC.
Antonio Monge, PhD from the Complutense University of Madrid, was in charge of starting up the subject of Chemistry Pharmaceutics. He directed the department of Chemistry Organic and Pharmaceutical from 1972 to 1995.
In 1988 he promoted the creation of CIFA (research center in Applied Pharmacobiology), which he directed until his retirement. He was also the promoter and first director of Master's Degree at research, development and Drug Innovation.
Daniel Fos was student of the I promotion. After Chair at the University of Granada and University of Seville, and 8 months in Manchester, he returned to Pamplona to work with Joaquín Giráldez in the Pharmacy service of Clínica Universidad de Navarra.
He was Associate Dean and director of programs of study.
Pilar Ygartua was also a student of the first graduating class of School. In 1976 she defended her thesis , directed by Mr. Félix Álvarez de la Vega and Margarita Fernández.
Professor Ygartua was for 13 years director of programs of study of the School.
Berta Lasheras, another former student of the School, also joined as a professor in the 80s.
She was the driving force behind the update courses, the Tutored Stays, the classroom Pharmacy and pharmaceutical care.
María Pilar Fernández Otero
María Pilar Fernández Otero arrived from the University of Santiago de Compostela in 1985. As dean (from 1986 to 1994), she saw the appointment of the first honorary doctor of Pharmacy, Professor Santos Ruiz.
She was Vice President of research for more than twelve years.
She received the Gold Medal of the University in 2008.
Edurne Cenarruzabeitia graduated from School in 1969 and defended her thesis in 1973. Professor Larralde encouraged her to study Pharmacy (she did so at the University of Seville).
Although she obtained the Chair in Physiology, she dedicated herself to Pharmacology to adapt to the needs of the School.
She was dean from 1994 to 2004.
Although Isabel García-Jalón did not arrive at the University until the late 1980s, she can be considered a pioneer in promoting programs of study in Human Nutrition and Dietetics. She had a degree in Pharmacy from the Complutense University of Madrid and in 1971 she had doctorate at School.