Mentoring and Counselling
The University of Navarra's School of Medicine trains students to be innovative and non-conformist doctors who, with a vocation for service, aspire to be excellent professionals.
For this reason, we train students who not only seek to acquire knowledge, but who also take on the challenge of improving the medical profession wherever they work. This is precisely a hallmark of the University of Navarra: accompanying our students in their personal, academic and professional development in order to help improve society as a whole.
At #MedUNAV you will find professors who will constantly challenge you to get the best out of you, inviting you to participate in exciting initiatives in which you will be the protagonist. And all this in an international environment that makes for a unique university experience.
To achieve this goal, from the first year onwards, the School of Medicine assigns a mentor to each student. The mentoring and counselling programme has these objectives:
- To inform and guide students in the beginning of their university studies.
- Contribute to training in personal habits and professional skills.
- Guidance on the academic pathway .
- Decision-making in the field of vocational guidance.
Counselling has its own characteristics that differentiate it from other possible teacher-counselling relationshipsstudent:
- It is personal: it provides individualised committee and guidance. It is offered to all students, including those who are only at the University for a limited period of time, such as exchange students or postgraduate program.
- It is voluntary, and therefore not assessable and not part of the academic curriculum. This distinguishes it from other teaching activities such as tutorials, which may be assessable and compulsory, and which take place on framework of a subject.
- It is university: it does not replace initiative and responsibility, but helps to encourage them. Moreover, counselling helps to discover other horizons beyond the strictly academic: cultural life, sport or solidarity.