A great bequest to build the future
The University's Law School School celebrates its 70th anniversary
The University of Navarra Law School School celebrates this year its 70th anniversary since October 17, 1952, when classes began at classroom , located in the Chamber of Comptos. This is our history. These are our pioneers.
Get to know_History_Video_70th Anniversary
First academic center of the University
The history of School of Law began and has developed in parallel to that of the University itself.
The School was the first academic center of the then Estudio General de Navarra. Classes began in October 1952, in premises provided by the Diputación Foral in the Cámara de Comptos. Soon these classrooms were insufficient and were expanded with others on the upper floor of the building of the Museum of Navarre, which was also provided by the Provincial Council.
Eight professors formed the first faculty of the School Law School. Ismael Sánchez Bella was its first Dean. In 1954 he was replaced by Ángel López-Amo, who occupied the position until his death in 1956. Sánchez Bella then began his second term as Dean, until 1962.
The 1952-53 academic year started with 41 students. Ángel María Iraburu was the first student who enrolled at School in Law. He enrolled in two subjects. José Javier Azcárate was the first student to enroll in the first full course, paying 1,000 pesetas.
The honor of being the first student of the School (and, therefore, of the University), is also disputed by Fernando López Jacoiste. Although in 1952 he was already studying Law at the University of Saragossa, he re-enrolled in the first year at the Estudio General de Navarra.
seminar room of Professors
In the 1959/60 academic year, the work of the seminar room de Profesores began. The activities and topics of the seminar room soon gave rise to papers and research, and consolidated the collection of legal monographs of the School.
Francisco Sancho Rebullida
After Ismael Sánchez Bella, Francisco Sancho Rebullida was appointed Dean of Law. He had joined the School as a professor of "Civil Law". He was, later, University Secretary of the University.
In October 1963, the School Law School moved into part of Central Building, whose construction was then unfinished. The Office of the Dean of the School was installed in the area of Office of the Executive Council until it had its own building.
In 1966, he assumed the position of Dean Jorge Carreras. He remained so until 1973, when he was appointed President of the University of Barcelona. In 1994, at proposal of the School, Carreras was invested honorary doctor by the University.
Jorge Carreras was succeeded as Dean in 1973 by Professor Javier Hervada, a renowned canonist.
Recognized with the Cross of Honor of San Raimundo de Peñafort, his Office of the Dean lasted until 1984, when he was replaced by Professor Juan Fornés.
In 1984, Juan Fornés, student of the VI promotion of the School, became the first former student of the University to become Dean. He remained so until 1987, when Professor José Antonio Doral was appointed.
School of Law internship
The School of Law internship was established in 1986. Its goal is fill in the training of the students of the School providing them with practical training for the practice of the various legal professions, especially the legal profession.
José Antonio Doral
In 1987, José Antonio Doral was appointed Dean. He served for three years, until 1990, when he was replaced by Professor Faustino Cordón.
First Master's Degree
In 1988, the first Master's Degree of the School, the Master's Degree University Law Program was launched at business. advisory service In the following decades, the Master's Degree in Tax Law, the Access to the Legal Profession, Human Rights and Digital Law were also launched.
In 1990, Professor Faustino Cordón was appointed Dean of the School. He remained at position for 6 years, until 1996, when he was replaced by Professor Rafael Domingo.
The Law building, designed by architects Rafael Echaide, Mariano González and Juan Miguel Otxotorena, was inaugurated on October 3, 1991. It had a simple and sober exterior, with 5 classrooms and space for Office of the Dean and administrative office.
1996 was the year in which Professor Rafael Domingo was appointed Dean of the School. He remained so until 1999, when he was replaced by Julio Muerza.
award Sancho Rebullida
In 1998, the School of Law constituted, together with the publishing house Aranzadi and the Fundación Caja Navarra, the award Sancho Rebullida, in report of the former professor and Dean of the School. Its goal is to award the best Spanish doctoral thesis in Civil Law.
In 1999, Professor Julio Muerza was appointed Dean of the School. His Office of the Dean lasted until 2005, when he was replaced by Professor Pablo Sánchez-Ostiz.
Álvaro D'Ors, award Príncipe de Viana for Culture
Also in 1999, Professor Álvaro d'Ors, one of the first of the School, received the award Príncipe de Viana de la Cultura. A few months earlier, he had been decorated with the Grand Cross of San Raimundo de Peñafort.
classroom of Parliamentary Law
In 2002 the classroom of Parliamentary Law was created as a result of a agreement between the University and the Parliament of Navarra to "be an instrument at the service of the university community, aimed at deepening the study of the political and parliamentary system".
In 2005, Pablo Sánchez-Ostiz assumed the position of Dean. When in 2013, he was appointed Vice President, Jorge Noval replaced him at the head of School.
Joseph Weiler, 'honorary doctor'
Since 1964, the University has conferred 6 honorary doctorates to proposal from School Law. The last one, Joseph Weiler, in 2011.
- Miguel Sancho Izquierdo (1964)
- Guilherme Braga da Cruz (1967)
- Paul Ourliac (1972)
- Jorge Carreras (1994)
- Francesco Cossiga (1994)
- Mary Ann Glendon (2003)
- Joseph Weiler (2011)
In 2012, the new Amigos Building, designed by Juan Miguel Otxotorena, was inaugurated. The building modified the landscape of campus and the Law building itself, which was integrated into it. Both now share a façade.
In 2013, Professor Jorge Noval was appointed Dean of the School. He served until 2022, when he was replaced by Professor Mercedes Galán.
Degree in International Relations
In 2015, the School launched the bilingual Degree at International Office.
In 2018, created by the new Degree, the think tank "Global Affairs" was born with the goal to research and think about International Office.
In 2018 the University opened its new campus in Madrid. The School has moved part of its postgraduate program offerings there.
In June 2022, Professor Mercedes Galán was appointed dean of School Law, replacing Jorge Noval. Professor of History of Law, she was vice dean of research and academic staff at School from 2020 until then.
In the history of the University, Law was the pioneer School ; and in it, 8 were the pioneers: the first 8 professors of the University. Together with Ismael Sánchez Bella, they formed the first faculty of the School, Jerónimo Martel, José Luis Murga, Rafael Aizpún, Manuel Morera, Ángel López-Amo, Leandro Benavides and Ángel García Dorronsoro.
At the beginning of the second year, it was necessary to have new teachers to teach the corresponding subjects. And in the following years, more professors were incorporated: Pedro Lombardía (Canon Law), José Javier López Jacoiste (Civil Law), Francisco Gómez Antón (Administrative Law), Joaquín Ferrer (Natural Law), José María Martínez Doral (Philosophy del Derecho), Carmelo de Diego-Lora (Procedural Law), Javier Hervada (Canon Law), Rafael Echeverría (Political Law), Álvaro d'Ors (Roman Law), Francisco Sancho Rebullida (Civil Law), Jorge Carreras (Procedural Law)...
With Eduardo Gutiérrez de Cabiedes and others, such as Juan Fornés, also from the VI Law School graduating class, and Dean between 1984 and 1987, a new generation of professors, disciples of those pioneers led by Ismael Sánchez Bella, began in the 1970s.
* Click on the image to learn more about the pioneers of the School
Ismael Sánchez Bella
Ismael Sánchez Bella was the first director of the then School of Law of the Estudio General de Navarra. Full Professor from History of Law, arrived in Pamplona with the assignment from St. Josemaría to start up the University. Between July and October 1952, Sánchez Bella carried out the necessary procedures with the Provincial Council for the creation of the university center. He obtained the approval and some classrooms, in the Chamber of Comptos, provided by the Provincial Council itself.
Jerónimo Martel was one of the eight professors who, together with Ismael Sánchez Bella, formed the first faculty of School.
He was in charge of teaching "Natural Law" during the first two academic years. He replaced the real Senior Associate Professor of the subject, Leonardo Polo, who was completing his training at the University of La Sapienza in Rome.
José Luis Murga
In the early years of the School, the "Roman Law" was run at position by Professor José Luis Murga, later Full Professor of the University of Seville.
Rafael Aizpún, doctor in Law, of great authority and presence in the financial life of Navarre, taught "Economics Política" together with Manuel Morera, specialist in Economic History.
The Full Professor Ángel López-Amo joined the School of Law as professor of "Political Law". In addition, when Sánchez Bella was appointed President of the University in 1954, Professor López-Amo replaced him as Dean.
Ángel López-Amo died in a car accident in the United States in 1954. Ismael Sánchez Bella then took over again as position from Dean of the School, until 1962 when Francisco Sancho Rebullida replaced him.
Leandro Benavides was attachment of Ángel López-Amo and, therefore, taught together with him the subject of "Political Law".
Benavides left the University in 1958. It was Rafael Echeverría who replaced him in the "Political Law" classes.
In 1961, he returned to work in the very young high school of Journalism. For 9 years he taught teaching in Journalism and Law (until 1970).
Ángel García Dorronsoro
The group of the very first pioneers of the School, those eight professors who made up the first faculty, is closed by the priest Ángel García Dorronsoro, in charge of teaching a course in Theology.
Pedro Lombardía was in charge of the teaching of the subject of "Canon Law" in the recently created School of Law. In 1958 he obtained by civil service examination the Chair of Canon Law of the School of Law of the University of Zaragoza.
He then returned to Pamplona, where he was also one of the initiators of the School of Can��nico Law (1959).
José Javier López Jacoiste
In 1951, due to his closeness to St. Josemaría Escrivá, he participated intensely in the preliminary stage of the University, then Estudio General de Navarra. He joined School Law at the beginning of his second academic year, 1953-54, as a professor of "Civil Law".
Francisco Gómez Antón
Francisco Gómez Antón arrived at the Estudio General de Navarra in September 1956, coming from the University of Santiago de Compostela, as a professor of Administrative Law at the then School of Law.
Two years later, he joined the Journalism Department at high school , which later became School de Comunicación, where he remained until his retirement in 2000.
Joaquín Ferrer also joined the School in the early years. He taught "Natural Law" at subject in the first year. In 1963 he was replaced by Don José María Martínez Doral, who was also in charge of explaining the Philosophy of Law.
On March 19, 1964, Don Joaquin was ordained to the priesthood. A few weeks later he returned to School and continued explaining "Natural Law".
José María Martínez Doral
José María Martínez Doral joined School in 1956 to teach "Philosophy del Derecho". He taught until 1990 with some intervals in Santander, San Sebastian and Bilbao.
He also collaborated with the School of Philosophy and Letters in the subject of "Ethics".
Carmelo de Diego-Lora
Carmelo de Diego-Lora, judge of 1st written request of the Court issue 2 of Oviedo, began teaching "Procedural Law" at the Law School in October 1956. That year he alternated his judicial work and professor between Pamplona and Oviedo.
In 1957 he was assigned to the Court issue 2 of Pamplona; and from there he moved to the Court of Pamplona.
On March 19, 1964, Don Carmelo was ordained a priest. He moved to IESE in Barcelona and returned to Pamplona in 1965 to preside over the newly created committee Chaplaincy of the University.
Javier Hervada joined School as a professor of "Canon Law".
He was Dean of the School from 1973 to 1984; and then Associate Dean of the de Canon Law
José Antonio Doral
José Antonio Doral joined the School in 1957, as teaching assistant in the subject of "Civil Law", taught by Professor José Javier López Jacoiste (his director of thesis together with Don Amadeo de Fuenmayor). Years later he became position of the "International Private Law"
After giving class at the University of Santiago and at the School of Law of San Sebastian, he obtained the Chair of Civil Law of the School of Law of the University of Granada.
In 1982 he returned to School, where he taught class until his retirement in 2000.
He was Dean between 1987 and 1990.
Álvaro d'Ors read the inaugural lecture at official opening of the academic year 61/62. He joined that same year the School de Derecho. In addition to teaching "Roman Law", he organized the Library Services, of which he was director for years.
In 1999, Professor Álvaro d'Ors was awarded the Gran Cruz de San Raimundo de Peñafort and a few months later received the award Príncipe de Viana de la Cultura.
In 2020, the University created the Chair Álvaro d'Ors at the ICS.
Francisco Sancho Rebullida
Francisco Sancho Rebullida joined the School in the 61/62 academic year. He taught the subject of "Civil Law". He was Dean of the School after the second stage of Ismael Sánchez Bella; and later, University Secretary of the University.
In 1998, Derecho created the award Sancho Rebullida, which is still submission today, coinciding with the day of patron saint of the School. Its goal is to award the best Spanish doctoral thesis at Civil Law.
Jorge Carreras also arrived at School of Law in the 61/62 academic year to teach the subject of "Procedural Law". He replaced Sancho Rebullida as Dean of the School in 1966. In 1994, he was invested 'honorary doctor' by the University.
When Jorge Carreras was appointed President of the University of Barcelona in 1973, the disciple succeeded the master. Eduardo Gutiérrez de Cabiedes, already Full Professor, former student of Carreras, who also directed his thesis , replaced him at teaching.