carrusel_noticia_Procedimientos de inmigración

Aplicaciones anidadas

Menú de navegación

Menú de navegación

Inmigración del estudiante

We know that applying for the right immigration procedure can be confusing, which is why we have a dedicated team to help make the process as easy as possible. Please review the information below to help you find your way around.


  • NIE (Foreign Resident Identification Number) : issue Foreigner's Identity Card. It is a unique issue and staff that is assigned to foreigners to be identified in Spain.

  • TIE: card Foreigner's Identity Card. It is the plastic card that serves as a document to accredit the status legal in the Spanish territory. It contains the NIE (Foreign Resident Identification Number) .

  • Student Visa: Document required to enter Spain as an international student. Students coming to study all of degree program normally have a 90-day visa that allows them to process a TIE. Students coming from exchange for a semester normally have a 180-day visa.

  • National Identity Card: National Identity Card. card of Identity d.

  • certificate European Union citizen registration card: Physical document containing the NIE (Foreign Resident Identification Number) for European Union and European Economic Area students.

  • TaxA tax is a mandatory administrative payment for the Spanish State to carry out a bureaucratic procedure.


The Immigration Offices (Oficinas de Extranjería) depend on the Government of Spain and are where most immigration documents are processed. Many times we colloquially refer to "Extranjería" to make reference letter to the Oficina de la Policía de Extranjería corresponding to your city or CCAA.

The data of the Pamplona Immigration Office can be found at ahere. It is located at Av. Guipúzcoa 40.

In San Sebastian, the procedures are carried out at the Government Subdelegation, located at place Pio XII, nº 6.

To carry out the procedures at the Foreigners' Office you need to have a previous quotation which you can obtain by clicking here. link.

In both Madrid and Barcelona there are several offices of Extranjería and the process to obtain a quotation previa may vary.


We are at the disposal of student to help you as much as possible, but it is essential that the student is manager of your immigration status at all times. To do this you must: 

  • Be aware of the expiration date of your visa and/or TIE.

  • Memorize the NIE (Foreign Resident Identification Number) (issue de Identificación de Extranjero).

  • Provide a copy of the TIE to Office of the Registrar upon request.

  • Perform the homologation of your degree scroll from high school program and official grades as required by Admissions Office.

  • apply for the renewal of your TIE at deadline established. Renewal can be done from 60 days prior to its expiration date, and a maximum of 90 days after the TIE is valid. It is always advisable to start the renewal as soon as possible.

  • Always keep a scanned copy of your immigration documents.

For more information contact us at

All students with passports from outside the European Union or European Economic Area or Switzerland must apply for a student visa to cross the entrance border into Spain.

  • Types of visas student will receive: 

    • semester programs(Exchange or International Foundation Semester): 180-day visa

    • Programs of more than 6 months: 90-day visa, which as soon as you arrive in Spain requires to apply for a TIE (card de Identificación de Extranjero )

  • Standard visa application process

  • Please note that the consulate of your area may require additional documents. For more information on the specific requirements , please contact your local consulate. Click here to find your consulate.


My visa is delayed, how can I check its status?

You can consult it in this web.

What if I have a 180-day visa and want to continue studying?

You can extend your stay, and if it is longer than 6 months, you will have the right to apply for a card de Identidad de Extranjero. Consult the corresponding section here.

Can I enter the country on a tourist visa and then change my legal status to student while I am in Spain?

It is possible only for students starting their programs of study who have not initiated any visa procedures in their home country, but if authorization is not granted from programs of study upon arrival in Spain, the student will have to return to their country. That is why it is very important to process the programs of study visa at the Spanish embassy or consulate of the country of origin to avoid unpleasant surprises.

I am a student from the European Union, do I need a visa?

No, but it is necessary to obtain the European Union Citizen Registration certificate if the stay exceeds one semester.

What if I am from the UK?

After Brexit (December 31, 2020), British citizens wishing to study in Spain must apply for a visa from programs of study at the Spanish Consulate.


This document is required for stays of more than 90 days for students from outside the European Union (also students from exchange of academic year full). It is only granted to students who have a 90-day visa and never to students who have a 180-day visa. The TIE must be applied for within the first month of your arrival and it is imperative that you renew this card annually.

Throughout September, the International Relations Office at the Pamplona campus offers a documentation collection service. It is essential that you submit the documentation before the date indicated, as after that date the student will have to process the documentation directly with the Oficina de Extranjería (Immigration Office). For more information on specific dates and times, please see the document checklist below.


What is NIE (Foreign Resident Identification Number, Spain)?

In Spain, the NIE (Foreigner 's Identification Number) stand for "Número de Identidad Extranjero". You can find this number on the student visa in your passport, although not always. This number is your identification number in Spain, however, it is not enough to stay in Spain. To study legally in Spain you must apply for the TIE.

What is the TIE?

The TIE is the " Foreigner’s Identity Card". This is a physical card.

What is the TIE card needed for?

To identify yourself in Spain. For example, you need it for:

  • Opening and maintaining a bank account 

  • Obtain a telephone (contract, prepaid is not necessary) / wifi at home.

  • To move within the European Union (Schengen area), always together with your passport.

  • To participate in the Erasmus programme

  • To enroll in the next years at UNAV.

When is it requested?

Your application must be submitted within 30 days of your arrival in Spain. It is very important to do this as soon as possible to avoid delays.

Where do I pick up the TIE?

One month after the fingerprints appointment, you must pick up your TIE in person at the corresponding Extranjería Office. For the Pamplona campus, the Immigration Police Office is located at Avenida Guipúzcoa, 40.

Do I need to register?

The census registration form is no longer a requirement for apply for the TIE for the first time. However, you will need to empadronarse to renew your TIE when you finish your first course. In addition, it is very convenient to register when you start living in Spain as this document is extremely useful for public health procedures, vaccinations, applying for scholarships or programs, certify arraigo, etc.

What happens if I go home on holiday but have not yet received my card?

It is necessary to have the TIE for the return to Spain after the vacations. In case you have not received the TIE before returning home, a Return Authorization must be sent to apply for . For more information about the Return Authorization.

What happens if I did not get a visa from programs of study?

The ideal option is to obtain a visa beforehand from programs of study. However, if you face difficulties in obtaining it in time or fail to acquire it, there is another alternative: apply for the authorization once in Spain. This procedure is called"Autorización de estancia por programs of study desde España". Find more information by clicking here.


If you continue to study at the University of Navarra, you must renew your TIE within the corresponding period. You can renew from 60 days prior to the expiration date of your TIE, up to a maximum of 90 days after its expiration date. It is always advisable to start the renewal as soon as possible.

The process is divided into 6 steps:

  • 1st step: certificate Digital. Its duration is 4 years. It is recommended to make a backup copy as explained here.

  • 2nd step: List of documents for renewal. You must collect and digitize all documents (preferably in PDF).

  • 3rd step: Upload the documentation to Mercurio. Once the documents have been digitized, they must be uploaded to Mercurio, which is the platform through which the telematic renewal is carried out.

  • 4th step: Download the resolution. When you receive a notification from Extranjería (which can be a requirement or the resolution of your transcript), you must download as soon as possible this notification.

  • 5th step: application of quotation for fingerprinting + Documents. When you obtain the favorable resolution you must reserve a quotation for fingerprinting at the Foreigners Office and bring the necessary documentation for this quotation.

  • 6th step: Collection of the TIE. In Pamplona, the TIE is collected one month after the fingerprinting quotation , on Tuesdays or Thursdays from 15:00 to 17:30 (without previous quotation ).


Other alternatives to renew the TIE:

Since the process is a bit complicated, many students prefer to renew their TIE through high school Oficial de Gestores Administrativos de Navarra. If you decide to proceed with this option, it is NOT necessary to have a digital certificate . Although the manager performs the renewal process for you, it is advisable to keep an eye on the manager and periodically ask how the renewal process is going and demand that he/she keep you up to date with any new developments.

How long does the TIE card last?

The TIE is usually valid for a full year (generally until the beginning of the next academic year), although some new cards are valid for two years. On the favorable resolution and subsequently on the physical card , you should check the expiration date carefully.


When do I need to renew the TIE card?

You have 60 days before its expiration and 90 days after its expiration to renew the TIE. It is advisable apply for to renew before the TIE expires to avoid delays and overcrowding at Extranjería.

I am a student and I am going to do an exchange and I need to renew my TIE card. What should I do?

You should be sure to apply for the renewal of your card before you make your exchange. For more specific questions, please contact contact with

The "padrón" is the list of inhabitants of a city or province in Spain. When you start living here it is very important to register to be counted as an inhabitant of the area. This procedure ensures that the Town Hall and Extranjería can locate you and update your data in the system.

The volante de empadronamiento is no longer a requirement for apply for the TIE for the first time. You will need to empadronarse to renew your TIE; however, we always recommend empadronarse when you come to live in Spain as it is extremely useful for public health procedures, vaccinations, applying for scholarships or programs, certify arraigo, etc.

To find out how to do it, click here

The Certificado de Registro de Ciudadano de la Unión Europea is for European Union students (including those who have EU passports but were not born in the EU) studying in Spain. It is advisable to apply for it within the first month of arrival, and it is not necessary to renew it annually. Once it is obtained, it must be scanned and sent to the UNAV General Offices.

The National Identity Card is the national identity card for Spanish citizens. Spanish citizens residing abroad must apply for the National Identity Card when they arrive in Spain. No further formalities are required, nor is it necessary to renew it every year (it expires after 5 years).

For more information on the process and where to apply, see link:

The following are the different situations and procedures to be followed apply for:

You can find general information about the Immigration Office in Madrid here.

If you have applied for your first TIE or its renewal and you have not yet received the physical TIE, you must apply for a Return Authorization to be able to travel outside the EU and return to Spain without any problems. deadline This allows you to re-enter Spain within a maximum of 90 days (maximum) and can only be used once.

Make sure to apply for the Return Authorization in advance, since at some times of the year, such as during Christmas, it is more complicated to get a quotation in Extranjería for apply for this document.

 To find out how to apply, click here

The Navarre-based business IQL, which specializes in subject , provides legal aid to students of the University of Navarra in case of complex situations. 

contact to consult services and rates:

Aplicaciones anidadas



Aplicaciones anidadas

video-Immigration part 2: TIE first time

video-Immigration part 3: EU Citizens

video-Immigration part 4: DNI